Puppeteer is a chromium browser's node module. We can automate web applications using the protractor. People might say that use Puppeteer when you are the developer of the application.
Below are a few differences between puppeteer and Protractor
- Protractor is an external web application testing tool but puppeteer is a node module of the Chromium engine.
- Chromium is actually a browser, so puppeteer is faster compared with Protractor
- Protractor can automate the different browsers like chrome, firefox, IE, Edge, opera, and many more. A puppeteer can automate the chromium engine only, as of today Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers are using the Chromium engine.
- The puppeteer can test APIs using request/responses but with Protractor it is difficult, but with the help of development language it is possible in Protractor as well.
- The puppeteer can be used to check how many CSS/JS files are used for loading a page which is not possible in Protractor.
- We can test the application without loading the images in Puppeteer but not possible in Protractor.
- We can use all the dev tools of chrome in puppeteer but Protractor does not support it.
- We can execute the test in different devices using the emulators in the puppeteer but emulating a device in Protractor is difficult
- We can check the amount of time taken to load the page with puppeteer but Protractor does not have a feature for it.
- You can save the screenshots in image and pdf format in puppeteer and Protractor provide a feature to save a screenshot in image format only