Motion charts are those which show data using the X and Y-axes, displaying changes over time by showing the movement of data points within the defined space as well as changes in the color of the lines.
The main advantage of a motion chart is to view the entire trail of how the data has changed over time and not just a snapshot of the data.
Tableau needs one Time Dimension and one Measure to create a Motion chart.
Creating a Motion Chart in Tableau:
- Open Tableau and click on Connect to Data.
- Then the Connect page will open, click on Microsoft Excel.
- Navigate to the downloaded files, select Sample Superstore.xls excel file, which is a saved excel file, and click on Open.
- You can download a Sample Superstore.xls file from the link: https://chercher.tech/files/
- Once the data source has been connected, open a new worksheet by clicking on sheet1.
- The Sample Superstore.xls excel file contains the below details.
- We have to find the variation in profits over months.
- Drag the dimension Order date to the column shelf, drag it again to the Pages Shelf.
- In the Pages shelf, right-click on the Order Date and choose Month.
- Now, drag the measure Profit to the Rows Shelf, the following chart appears.